Alpine Baldy Trail School Campout Sat & Sun
Trail Building is a science -- it takes education, skill, and technique to make great trails. Here at Evergreen, we have been studying trail building for years and now, we want to share it with you! The day will start in the classroom at the USFS Skykomish Office where the Evergreen Trail team will teach you everything you need to know to build high-quality mountain biking trails. After we break for lunch we will head out to our new project at Alpine Baldy to campout and put your new skills to use!
If you plan on attending this event you must RSVP below due to Limited spots.
Transportation and Directions: We will meet at USFS Skykomish Office at 9 am. Then after lunch, we will head over to Beckler Peak Trail Head with camping gear and bikes. Evergreen will haul up everyone's camping gear, packs, etc. while participants ride their bikes from Beckler Peak Trail Head, 5 miles up to basecamp.
Hey everybody, huge thanks for signing up for the Alpine Baldy Trail School campout weekend! Andrew Pellkofer and I (Mike Westra) will be your hosts for the weekend. Here is some important logistics info:
Sat 7/22 – Class and set up camp
- 8:45 am – Meet at the Skykomish Ranger Station: https://goo.gl/maps/hhdr6ien8PM2.
- 9:00 am – Class starts. This will give you some time to get a seat and get settled.
- 12:30 pm – Lunch at the ranger station – don’t forget to bring your own lunch.
- 1:00 pm – drive up to Beckler Peak Trailhead: https://goo.gl/maps/JAWmg5RWTcq.
- 1:30 pm to 2:00 pm – we’ll be loading up camping gear onto the quads.
- For those who have already done the class and want to comp, feel free to joins us at the trailhead at 1:30pm.
- It’s a 5-mile pedal up gaining 2000 vert ft to the campsite and viewpoint: https://goo.gl/maps/9Abi13y4H3w. Google says it’s a 1 hr 15 min ride – it takes me longer .
- I’m guessing folks will be arriving in camp around 4pm.
- We have options for the rest of the evening… hang out at camp, ride/hike to the meadow at the summit, build some tables/benches.
- Evergreen will provide dinner: hamburgers, polish sausages, chips, beer, soda, water
Sun 7/23 – Morning Work Party
- 7:00 am – Evergreen will start making coffee and breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast).
- Evergreen will also provide ham, turkey, cheese and bread to make sandwiches for you to pack a lunch.
- 8:00 am: quad will leave the Beckler Peak trailhead for those who have already done the Trail School and will just join the work party on Sunday.
- 8:30 am – Start hiking with tools up to the summit for the work party.
- Folks can work as little or as long as you want. We’ll have a crew leader up there until at least 4pm.
- 1pm – We’ll have all the camping gear back down at the trailhead, so that’ll be the earliest departure from Beckler Peak TH.
What to Bring:
- Your bike and riding gear
- Lunch for saturday
- Work boots or tough hiking boots (sturdy footwear if you do not want to work in your bike shoes)
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Sunglasses – it’ll be bright up in the meadow
- Rain gear, layers, work attire (remember in the mountains the weather can change quickly)
- Safety glasses and work gloves if you have them
- Warm clothing for the evening (Down jackets and fleece recommended)
- Water, snacks – Evergreen will have a ton of water and snacks, but always good to bring your own as well.
- Camping gear - tent, pad, sleeping bag, headlamp, pack to haul it, water bottle, toiletries, etc.
Evergreen Will Provide:
- All the tools
- Work gloves if you need them
- Extra Water, beer and Cold Beverages at campsite
- Dinner on Saturday
- Breakfast, coffee, and lunch on Sunday
- Some bug spray and candles will be available
- Grill and stoves for cooking, plus grill for the campfire
- Transportation of gear up to base camp on Sat and back down on Sun.
- If you have allergies, bring what you need… lots of wildflowers, pollen and bees flying around the meadow.
- Anything else you need. Note: we’ll have all the cooking stuff, so no need to pack that.
Just heard we’ll have a drone up there filming us working in the meadow on Sunday… schweeet.
Don’t hesitate to email, call or text if you have any questions. Going to be a blast!